Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life full of mania with a dash of humor and a slice of normality (those are the secret ingredients) Vol 1 Issue 12

Right now my life is pretty hectic so I was only able to catch around 4 or so hours of the Jimmy V charity event on all the ESPN networks yesterday. Other than being insanely (no pun intended) jealous of the guy who had the winning bid for the ESPN College Football GameDay on Campus Experience (my reasons for this can be boiled down to 2 simplistic action items I would perform; 1.) When you get to deliver the mascot head to Corso I would definitely throw a Heisman pose/hand into Desmond’s face during the interaction and 2.) When you get the chance to meet with the guys during the morning production meeting I would demand that during the picks they must also pick their favorite sign in the crowd, it’s only fair for those people who worked hard on insulting the opponent’s city/school/family/and girlfriends) I was able to take something of value away from my oxymoronic vegetative state of watching radio on TV. This of course is the following quote from Jimmy V:

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

After hearing this quote I sat in contemplation for awhile and reflected on the meaning behind what Jimmy was conveying here. After this deliberation I decided to try a social experiment on myself (it’s not like I’m doing much else right now) and while I wasn’t going for the homerun in the bottom of the 9th with two outs to win the game and do this for an entire week I figured one day of doing all three couldn’t be too tough. After going through my day following these words of wisdom I could determine if I had experienced something special (my Mom always said I was special, kind of ironic thinking about everything now). Next I pulled my best impersonation of Earl Hickey and started a list: 1. Laugh 2. Think 3. Cry. Then after I spell checked my list I realized that I had already completed number 2 so I crossed it off my list (2. Think, ok the blog doesn't allow you to use the strikethrough function on words so I'm using italics, not as cool but it's not my fault), very nice.

Now my next to do for the day was to cry or laugh, two things I’ve perfected since my episode so this should be a piece of giant cookie (I should clarify, I’m not a huge fan of cake so we always had giant cookies for my birthday growing up, hence the piece of giant cookie reference). At this point AMC was running “History of the World: Part I” so a laugh was pretty much guaranteed at this point. While I did giggle slash cackle slash chuckle slash snicker I really didn’t whole heartily laugh like I think Jimmy was referring to so I couldn’t strikethrough (italicize) that off my list. At this point in the evening I needed to jump into the shower as I was getting ready to venture down to the KY for some elegant riverfront dinning (ok it was Hooters but they have really good burgers). During my shower routine I enjoy listening to some tunes and one of the songs that randomly played was Ryan Adams' “Rescue Blues” (for some reason since my episode I’m a sucker for this song and needless to say 3. Cry).

It was nearing the end of the night and I hadn’t laughed yet and I was becoming a little bit concerned. I sat down at J.B. Fins totally disgusted with myself as I had been so close to completing my experiment but will undoubtedly fall short, and the culprit was laughter (the last time I checked humor was in the title of this blog, so pathetic). When you’re lower than low doesn’t it always seem like that’s when it all comes together. On stage Kevin Fox said these few words:

“So this song is about me in high school not being able to get laid, it’s called Doesn’t Do It.”

I instantly started to crack up and it continued through the entire song (1. Laugh). Jimmy V was right, I really hadn’t done anything throughout the day but it was definitely a full day.

Since many of my manic experiences involve music I’ve decided to add random music videos to the blog for my enjoyment and your inconvenience. Enjoy!


Coming Correct,
d01roK

No comments:

Post a Comment