Friday, May 4, 2012

Life full of mania with a dash of humor and a slice of normality (those are the secret ingredients) Vol 4 Issue 15


It’s been a couple weeks since I posted and it really feels like we are starting to drift apart and I want to apologize for that. To regain that trust that we had of me spilling my guts to you as you laugh at the inconvenience and disappointment that at times is my life I’m going to try and tell you a few funny stories from the past week.

First off yes I really did like the First Lady Dresses exhibit in DC and I don’t care what anyone says; but that yellow jacket that Nancy Reagan sported is even pretty hideous in person (does that display her lack of style or validate my nickname of Gay Derek in college?). Secondly women if you get into every museum free that’s basically in DC then don’t bitch about Diet Coke prices. I know they’re expensive but seriously you just saw the original flag flown with the battle scars still on it that inspired our National Anthem, let’s keep things in perspective.

My last story has to begin with the cover art that my publisher put together as an option for “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” so check it out:



I must admit I’m not one that really gets into or understands art. All I really know is that I like something that is unique. By that I mean art that gives someone a different perspective whenever they look at it. I like art that allows people to see different things and experience it in their own way; something unlike anything else. Kind of like my cover up there only when I look at that cover I only see one thing; stigma.

Last week I attended Ohio’s NAMI state conference and other than trying not to totally drop the ball and be funny when signing my books (not very successful by the way) I listened to the Keynote Speaker. The topic of the conference was the “Elephant in the Room” and it focused on the discrimination, stereotypes, and stigma’s associated with mental health. Patrick Kennedy (who credited none of his political career to his last name; or was it mainly all of it?) had personal experience with stigmas and the like and touched on a number of issues that could be resolved and even discussed the role of our Vets in the fight.

For some reason in my day to day fight even when I experience stereotypes or stigmas it never really bothers me. I’m not sure if I purely see it as an ignorant comment that the person has no idea they’re doing or if I have bigger problems to worry about. As of late I’ve started to see the light at the end of the tunnel and am feeling anxious to get back to a life not completely filled with worry about my health. Now it seems at times I can lose my patience and become irritable with having to wait around and “kill time”.  It’s at these times that I try to focus on the stigmas and stereotypes that I never used to have time for.

I mean look at that cover; I sent over a page description of my book and they “creatively” came up with that. For shit’s sakes look at the sun’s eyes (never mind I’ve never seen the sun without sunglasses, I mean it is the sun) I have no idea how that represents bipolar disorder. Now just like with art I know people can have different perspectives with mental health and I can respect that. However I’ll be honest I really don’t like the way most people are looking at bipolar disorder and I’m planning on changing that (yeah, that shouldn’t take any time at all).

Since many of my manic experiences involve music I’ve decided to add random music videos to the blog for my enjoyment and your inconvenience. Enjoy!


Coming Correct,
d01roK

No comments:

Post a Comment