Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life full of mania with a dash of humor and a slice of normality (those are the secret ingredients) Vol 2 Issue 16

I was wandering around Chicago last night just enjoying the scenery and taking in my new city (ok that’s a lie, my phone told me an AMC was somewhere it wasn’t). This little jaunt of mine took me a good three or so miles hike. The best part about this is that I wasn’t looking down at my phone every five minutes and looking completely like I’m from out of town and a fool in front of everyone (and there’s a lot of talent in these here parts). During my aimlessly wandering adventure I started to think about the toughest part of moving to a new city; forming new friendships.

So let’s go ahead and set the scene for you all out there anxiously awaiting what exactly I’m referring to in forming new friendships. For me it’s scarily similar to starting a new relationship with someone (except no one gets laid, unless you’re really lucky; or really good I suppose). I always want to make a great first impression because if I’m my true self no one will want to hang out with me (which happened in Denver). This translates into me being overly appreciative for everything and driving everyone nuts by doing so. I uncontrollably say thank you for every little thing and am trying not to make a fool out of myself, which usually backfires.

Now due to the fact I don’t have many close friends up this way when it came time for me to look for a place to live I was drawing blanks on where to start. I had only been to Chicago when I was in seventh grade and due to my bowl cut could only see half the city (bowl cuts, awesome). I had really no idea on what part of the city to look to live in and really no friends to ask for help. This led me to emailing a couple of Tigresses that were friends of friends to ask for help. This was a risky move on my part in the path to forming new friendships because these girls could have perceived this in two ways (and one makes me look like a real creep). Luckily they were more than helpful and I felt like I was progressing in my social experiment of trying not to be a tool in a new city.

While I was visiting the land of Lincoln in April to find an apartment I hooked up with a couple more potential friends (it felt like a super competitive interview process to join their click). I felt like the first contact process went fairly well but I did have a few drinks and when you couple this with the lake effect has on you when drinking I’m sure I wasn’t all there. I really haven’t heard back from either one of those potential friends and I’m starting to think just like so many first dates, it was the only one as well.

I’m really not too sure how I’ll talk about my BMD with my new friends (if I ever make any, I’ll keep you updated on the social experiment). A part of me doesn’t feel like it’s really something I should bother others with, especially ones I don’t know very well. Why bother them with the craziness in my life, it’s more than likely something they have little interest in. But on the other hand (sorry to bring up a sore subject Stubby) this BMD isn’t a sickness, illness, or disorder to me; it’s just me and I shouldn’t be ashamed of this and try to hide it (which means I’ll probably end up looking like a tool).

Since many of my manic experiences involve music I’ve decided to add random music videos to the blog for my enjoyment and your inconvenience. Enjoy!



Coming Correct,
d01roK

No comments:

Post a Comment