Friday, October 22, 2010

Life full of mania with a dash of humor and a slice of normality (those are the secret ingredients) Vol 2 Issue 34

Last week a woman said those three little words to me that all single men fear:

“You’re cut off.”

Yes my new doc has cut me off from the one thing I thought I had a shot at for some sort of normalcy in my life. This wasn’t due to my usage (I was pretty good at that) but rather the fact that there have been instances of instant death when combining too much alcohol with lithium (could of known that 8 months ago). Of course when I asked how and why I received the standard BMD medical response:

“We don’t know.”

And before anyone has to asks I’m man enough to admit it, yes I cried when they took it away (sucker punched my ass). I wasn’t upset that I had to quit drinking (well 2 drink maximum) but rather the fact that it just felt like once again something was being taken from me and no one can tell me exactly why. I felt I had already given up so much in my life and drinking was the last thing that was familiar to me. I knew what it was like to drink with my friends and feel somewhat as close to my old self as any other time.

So once I got that out I felt better and made the wise decision to stop drinking and stay on my lithium (I like breathing a little more than drinking, just a little though). I could of explored other medicines that would allow me to drink on them but my lithium seems to be working right now and I’m not a big fan of fixing something that’s not broke (hell I can’t fix something that is broke). Adding a new “medicine” to my system is an experience I’d like to limit as much as possible. The next time you see a commercial for the “medicine” Abilify pay attention to the possible side effects, I was fortunate to have a majority of them (the involuntary spasms were wicked).

After three years of what seemed like continuous failure things are starting to turn a bit. I’ve finally got insurance (I’m killing their bottom line but they have to play nice), my lithium levels are normal, I like my new doc and counselor (kind of a shocker), new job, place is coming together, new vehicle (very soon, the Toyota’s 238K probably isn’t reliable for a traveling sales job), and if I have to trade some hangovers for that, I’ll be just fine.

On a lighter note I use to try and pride myself on having clever or witty remarks about my facebook page (purely for my entertainment alone) but due to moving out to the country I didn’t have Internet service for the first month or so. This didn’t allow me to keep up with my updates on my page so in honor of the alcohol prohibition put on my life I dedicated my page to the only girl that I can still out drink; Fisher.

This snake from the plains (a select few will get that) use to constantly barrage me in college with the challenge that every guy rolls his eyes at when coming from a girl:

“I can out drink you!”

Of course I tell her she drinks like a girl and accept the challenge (that’s that Trojan pride) and it was a close challenge. Up until I was informed that she was under the ping pong table…she drinks like a girl (and so do I now, it even says it on my facebook page).

Since many of my manic experiences involve music I’ve decided to add random music videos to the blog for my enjoyment and your inconvenience. Enjoy!



Coming Correct,
d01roK

No comments:

Post a Comment